2,000 APPLICATIONS FOR THE INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION
35 FILMS FROM 30 COUNTRIES TO BE SCREENED
THE SIX GREEK FILMS IN THE RUN
2,000 applications were received for the competition programme of the 43rd Drama Film Festival, in spite of the adverse conditions imposed internationally by the spread of the pandemic.
35 films from 30 countries were selected for screening, while, as International Competition Head Programmer Manolis Melissourgos points out, “for the first time there are six Greek films in the competition, and an additional one from Cyprus”, a fact that confirms the advanced level of this year’s local film production. Having watched more than 2,000 films from 90 countries, we have put together a program consisting of global premieres and award-winning films that take us on a journey around the world and demonstrate the authenticity of their creators. Films that exude a breath of freedom, with a wide array of topics, styles and approaches, invite us into the dark theatre with a wink”.
In another first, women creators outnumber their male colleagues. Out of all the participating directors, 19 are women, and 17 are men.
The six Greek films that are competing are:
As if underwater by Anthi Daoutaki, In her steps by Anastasia Kratidi, Τhe end of suffering (a proposal) by Jaqueline Lentzou, Goads by Iris Baglanea, Dive by Thimios Bakatakis and Premier Amour by Haris Raftogiannis (France, Greece).
The competing film from Cyprus is The Parrot Lady by Michalis Kalopaidis.
The Drama Film Festival is honored to present, in a national first, Thanasis Neofotistos’ new film, Route-3 (Bosnia, Greece), which will be screened out of competition.
43rd Competition Program
1. The name of the son by Martina Matzkin, Argentine
2. Manus by Angus McDonald, Australia
3. Favourites by Martin Monk, Austria
4. No place by Gabriel Amaral, Brazil
5. Under the same roof by Simeon Tsonchev, Bulgaria
6. In the dark by Mariano Franco, Canada
7. Microcassette – The smallest cassette I’ve ever seen by Igor Bezinovic & Ivana Pipal, Croatia, Serbia
8. The parrot lady by Michalis Kalopaidis, Cyprus
9. Song Sparrow by Farzaneh Omidvarnia, Denmark
10. Virago by Kerli Kirch Schneider, Estonia
11. Cameramen by Tristan Lhomme, France
12. Exhibition by Sylvia Borges, Germany
13. Girl meets boy by Ferdinand Arthuber, Germany
14. The jackpot by Alice von Gwinner, Germany
15. As if underwater by Anthi Daoutaki, Greece
16. Dive by Thimios Bakatakis, Greece
17. First love by Haris Raftogiannis, Greece, France
18. Goads by Iris Baglanea, Greece
19. In her steps by Anastasia Kratidi, Greece
20. The end of suffering (a proposal) by Jacqueline Lentzou, Greece
21. Chen Chen by Kargo Chen, Hong Kong
22. Wild Child by Ka Ki Wong, Hong Kong
23. Musician by Mohsen Mehri Darouei, Iran
24. A better you by Eamonn Murphy, Ireland
25. Mini DV by Shauly Melamed, Israel
26. My border, my forest by Giorgio Milocco, Italy
27. Barakat by Manon Nammour, Lebanon
28. Portrait of Suzanne by Izabela Plucinska, Poland
29. Minion by Anghel Damian, Romania
30. Consolation by Lina Asadulina, Russia
31. Movements by Dahee Jeong, South Korea
32. And she hisses by Monica Lek, Spain, USA
33. The wedding cake by Monica Mazzitelli, Sweden
34. Anna by Dekel Berenson, UK, Ukraine
35. Keep it quiet by Yaya, USA